Oops…it’s been a while. But I’m more than making up for it with these nuggets of gold, cross my heart! I’m a big fan of brunch, because it’s that cheeky little meal you can fit in between my favourite meal of the day (breakfast) and lunch, and who isn’t partial to an extra meal? Or is it only us pregnant folk?
These arose because of my need to use up excess buckwheat flour, and I know they’ll be making a regular appearance in my kitchen. Light and fluffy, teamed with tangy relish and thick sour cream, these also hit the nutritional nail on the head with protein-rich buckwheat, fresh vegetables and healthy fats from the avocado. You’ll be weak at the knees and may even stand at the bench devouring fritter after fritter until you look slightly pregnant (that’s me covered!).
buckwheat, corn + chive fritters with crispy bacon – adapted from Supergrains by Chrissy Freer; serves 4 for a light brunch, or 2-3 for a more substantial meal
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup white spelt flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 zucchini (approx 90g), coarsely grated, excess moisture squeezed out
- 70g crumbled goats feta
- 3 tblsp chopped chives
- olive oil, to cook
- bacon, chopped avocado, baby spinach, sour cream and tomato relish (I recommend Beerenberg Burger Relish) to serve
here’s what you do…
1. Whisk the milk and egg yolks together in large bowl, then gradually whisk in the flours and baking powder until smooth. Stir through corn, zucchini, cheese and chives.
2. Using an electric mixer (or whisking by hand) whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks, then fold gently into the batter until just combined.
3. Fry the bacon on medium-high heat until crispy then set aside to keep warm, leaving the fat in the pan. Turn down the heat to medium and pour 1/3 cup of mixture into the pan, cooking 3 fritters at a time. Flip after 2-3 minutes and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, or until brown. Keep the fritters warm by placing on a plate in the oven, covered loosely with foil.
4. Plate up! Place the fritters on a plate, smear with sour cream, dot with avocado and relish and add bacon and spinach.