I know what you’re thinking. What on earth is this warm, snuggly bowl of porridge doing popping up in my feed in the residual summer heat? Well, autumn is one step closer to winter, and sometimes the mornings can be a bit chilly. Plus, this is light yet sustaining and filling all at the same time, so this recipe comes in handy when your brekky needs a do-over.
This baby is gluten free, dairy free (if you use dairyfree yoghurt or omit altogether) and super easy to whip up. Quinoa flakes cook in next to no time, packing a real nutritious protein-punch. Oh, and did you know quinoa is a complete protein? That means it contains all the essential amino acids your body needs, perfect for all you vegans and vego’s out there. Add to that the beautiful fats + vitamin D from the yoghurt and the energy-rich bananas + dates, and you’re on your way to beginning the day on a positive note! I’ve sprinkled some homemade orange and coconut granola on top but you can use any other granola you have, or even some macadamias, almonds, walnuts…
quinoa, maple + date porridge with fresh banana – serves 1 – dairyfree/glutenfree
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 2/3 cup almond milk (plus extra for serving)
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup (plus extra for drizzling)
- pinch of sea salt
- 2-3 chopped dates
- natural yoghurt
- optional: granola/crushed nuts for serving
here’s what you do…
- Place quinoa flakes, almond milk, maple syrup and salt into a small saucepan and simmer for 2-3 min, or until flakes are tender.
- Serve in bowl with dates, sliced banana, dollop of yoghurt, granola/nuts and maybe a cheeky drizzle of maple syrup and extra milk if desired.